FY 2014 data collected from 142 microenterprise organizations through MicroTracker.org.
MicroTracker is a set of data tools and services that empowers microenterprise development organizations to assess and improve their performance, and to communicate the value of their work to funders and stakeholders. MicroTracker builds on FIELD’s 20-year history collecting data, through the US Microenterprise Census and MicroTest, to allow for comparisons using standard measures and benchmarks across the US microenterprise industry. These tools and services include:
Data Collection and Analysis Services
Data collection and analysis services provide microenterprise organizations with critical program insights and improve their ability to collect and use high-quality, rigorous data. These services include:
- Data collection tools. MicroTracker provides surveys, and data entry and cleaning forms, that participating organizations use to collect and submit data.
- Data cleaning. MicroTracker staff review the data submitted to ensure that it is consistent across organizations and over time.
- Data interpretation. MicroTracker consults with organizations to help them to understand the findings from the data, and how it can be used to strengthen their organizations’ work.
- Data presentation. MicroTracker staff helps organizations to communicate their data findings to key audiences – their boards, funders, the media, and others.
A set of standardized metrics allows organizations to compare their organizational performance and client outcomes to that of other microenterprise organizations, and to track their own activities, effectiveness and outcomes over time.
Nationwide Data Set
MicroTracker offers a nationwide data set on the activities, scale, effectiveness and outcomes of US microenterprise organizations, using microTracker’s standardized measures. The database is fed by two data collection efforts:
- The EntrepreneurTracker client outcomes survey, through which participating organizations use a common survey methodology to collect data on the outcomes their clients achieve after receiving services.
- The US Microenterprise Census, through which programs report data on their products and services, client demographics, volume (people served, loans made), portfolio performance, and program costs.
The microTracker.org site provides access to microTracker’s nationwide database. The microTracker.org site also provides analysis tools that allow users to segment the data and compare individual organizations to relevant industry peers, to other organization in their state, or to the industry as a whole. MicroTracker.org is used not only by microenterprise organizations, but also by funders, the media, and others to find and learn about microenterprise organizations nationally and in their regions. MicroTracker.org also hosts data collection for the US Microenterprise Census.